* 2 pounds unbleached all-purpose flour
* 2 whole eggs
* 3 egg yolks
* 1 cup unsalted butter or parve margarine.
* 2 tbsp dry yeast
* 4 tbsp water
* 1¾ cups potatoes, peeled and boiled (still warm)
* 1 cup sugar
* Dash of Salt
* 1 tsp vanilla
* Rind of 1 lemon
* 2-3 tbsp white wine
1. Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
2. Put the whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk into the center and blend with your fingers.
3. Add the softened butter or margarine and knead together.
4. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and then add to the potatoes. The warm potatoes will help to activate the yeast. Puree the potatoes and add to the flour mixture.
5. Add the sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon rind, and enough wine to bind the ingredients together. Knead well until a firm, smooth dough is achieved, (You can divide the dough and work it in the food processor.)
6. Divide into 6 round balls and let stand, covered, while you make the filling, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
7. When the filling (Poppy-Seed Filling or Nut Filling) is ready, punch the dough and divide each ball of dough again into 6 or 7 round balls. Or proceed, if you prefer, with the large rolls, which can be sliced into small individual pieces.
8. If you are making small cookies, roll the dough out and cut circles 3 inches in diameter. Then put 1½ tbsp filling in a line down the center, leaving a ½-inch border.
9. Fold the top and bottom of the circle over to cover the ends of the filling. Then take the left side and fold over ²\³ of the dough to cover the line of filling. Fold the right side over to the left edge. Press the sides together at the center and edges, as if you were tucking a baby into his blanket. Place on a ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with the remaining 2 egg yolks.
10. To make a large kindli, take one of the original 6 balls and roll out the dough into a circle about 7 inches in diameter. Smear with the filling. Fold the top and bottom over into 1-inch flaps. Then roll from one side like a jelly roll. Pinch down the edges. Brush with the egg yolks and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
11. Bake about 30 - 40 minutes, until golden brown. Halfway through cooking, it is a good idea to brush more egg yolk on the kindli to achieve a lovely glazed effect.