* 3 tbsp corn or peanut oil
* 1 pound onions, chopped (about 2½ cups)
* 1 tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
* ½ tsp ground turmeric
* 2 tsp salt, or to taste
* 2 chickens, each 3 pounds, and giblets, cut into 10 pieces each, loose skin ad fat discarded
* 1 pound small potatoes (about 6), peeled, halved
* 1 tbsp Dry Masala for Meat
* ½ cup water
1. Heat the oil in a pan and stir-fry the onions over moderate heat until light brown, about 6 minutes. Add the ginger, turmeric and salt and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
2. Add the chickens and giblets, cover the pan, and cook over low heat for ½ hour. Add the potatoes, Dry Masala and water. Mix, sufficient to tenderize the chicken and potatoes. The dry roast, as it is called, has little or no sauce.