1 cup strong coffee
1¾ cups honey
3 tbsp Cognac (optimal)
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1¼ cups dark brown sugar
3½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp cup chopped toasted almonds or walnuts
½ cup white raisins
¼ cup chopped candied citron (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Generously grease and flour two 9 X 5-inch loaf pans.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the coffee and honey and bring to a boil. Let cool, then stir in the Cognac, if using.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the oil and brown sugar.
4. In another large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Stir in the nuts, raisins, and citron, if using.
5. Stir the flour mixture and honey mixture alternately into the egg mixture. pour the batter into the loaf pans and bake for 70 minutes, or until the cakes are springy to the touch. Do not serve for 24 hours, so that the flavor of the honey has a chance to develop.