8 eggs, separated
1½ cups sugar
¼ cup sifted matzah meal
½ tablespoon lemon juice
Grated rind of ½ lemon ¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cold water
½ cup pecan meats, ground
½ cup almonds, ground
1. Beat the egg yolks until light. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the eggs are lemon colored.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour with matzah flour a 9-inch springform pan
3. Add the matzah meal to the yolks
4. Add the lemon juice and rind, salt, and water. Fold in the nuts.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the mixture.
6. Transfer to the springform pan and bake 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve as is, or with the following glaze.
1 egg yolk
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup sugar Grated rind of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon butter of parve margarine
1. While the torte is still in the oven, beat together the egg yolk, lemon juice, sugar, and lemon rind. Place the mixture in a saucepan and boil it, stirring constantly until it thickens slightly. Stir in the butter.
2. With a toothpick, poke holes in the top of the cake at 1-inch intervals. When the cake has cooled slightly, still in the pan, pour the glaze over it. Let stand a few minutes so the glaze sinks in, and then remove from the pan.