* 2 C flour
* 1 C sugar
* 1 t baking soda
* 1/4 t salt
* 2 large whole eggs
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1 t vanilla
* 1T freshly grated orange zest
* 1-1/2 C whole almonds, toasted lightly and coarsely
* Egg wash of 1 egg plus 1 t water
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, with a paddle attachment, blend flour, sugar, baking soda and salt until well combined. In a small bowl, whisk whole eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and zest.
2. Add to the flour mixture, beating until a dough is formed. Stir in the almonds.
3. Preheat oven to 300° F.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead several times, and divide in half.
5. Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
6. Flour hands and form two logs about 12 inches long.
7. Place on the baking sheet about 3 inches apart, flatten slightly and brush with egg wash.
8. Bake at the center of the oven for 50 minutes, cool 10 minutes.
9. On a cutting board, slice crosswise, diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
10. Place cut side down on the baking sheets and bake about 10 to 15 minutes per side.
11. Cool and store airtight.