* 1 lb Carrots; peeled, cut in 1/2" chunks
* 1 cup Sugar, plus more for sprinkling
* 2/3 cup Fresh orange juice
* 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
* 2 tsp Ground ginger
* 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine carrots and l/2 cup water.
2. Bring to a simmer over low heat; cover and cook slowly until soft, about 30 minutes.
3. With a potato masher, mash the carrots and any remaining liquid.
4. Stir in sugar, orange juice and lemon juice.
5. Return to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until a thick paste forms, 50 to 60 minutes.
6. Stir in ginger and cinnamon.
7. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
8. Sprinkle a small cutting board and rolling pin with water. Turn carrot mixture onto the board and roll into a l/2" thick rectangle. Sprinkle generously with sugar.
9. Let stand, covered with cheesecloth or a towel, for one day, until the top feels dry.
10. Cut into 1" wide strips.
11. Turn and sprinkle the other side of the strips generously with sugar.
12. Let stand, covered with cheesecloth or a towel, for another day. Turn the strips daily, until the candy is dry, up to 4 days.
13. After the strips feel crisp, cut into 1" diameter squares.
14. Sprinkle again with sugar. (Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.)