* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/3 cup parve margarine, softened
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup orange
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 cup pitted whole dates, snipped
* 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
* Orange Sauce (see recipe)
1. Grease and flour and 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. Stir together the 1 cup flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degree F oven. Place softened margarine and ginger in a medium mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in orange juice and water.
3. Add flour mixture, beating on low to medium speed until combined. Toss dates with 2 tablespoons flour and fold into batter. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly (about 30 minutes) in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with warm Orange Sauce. Makes 9 servings.
Orange Sauce: Stir 1/4 cup sugar, 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger), and 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel in a small saucepan. Stir in 3/4 cup orange juice. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon margarine, cut up, until melted. Cover pan and cool slightly. Serve warm. Makes about 1 cup.