* ½ tbsp dry or ½ cake yeast
* 1 cup lukewarm milk
* 6½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 cup plus 1 tsp sugar
* 1 tsp plus a pinch of slat
* ½ cup unsalted butter
* 2 eggs, beaten
* Confectioners' sugar
* Unsalted butter or oil for frying.
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Gradually add 1½ cups sifted flour, 1 tsp sugar, and a pinch of slat to form a soft dough. Knead well, cover, and set aside to rise in a warm, draft-free spot.
2. When the dough has risen, cream together the butter and the remaining 1 cup sugar. Gradually add the eggs, the dough, and 1 tsp salt. Work in 5 cups flour, kneading until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Set aside to rise again.
3. When the dough is well risen, roll out on a floured board to a thickness of ½ inch. Cut to triangles and lay on a floured board to rise.
4. When well risen, drop the puffs into a deep kettle of boiling butter or oil. Use a spoon to baste with the butter until brown. Remove with a perforated skimmer and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.